But I am just a pilgrim on this road, boys
Until I see you fare thee well
-Steve Earle, Pilgrim

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Edwardsville, IL, 600K Brevet

I drove up to Edwardsville last Friday to ride the 600K. It was already in the mid-seventies when I left the motel, so I packed my water bottles with ice. The ride started at 4:00, and I was surprised that there were about 15 riders, but there was an entire series of events, and only 9 rode the 600K. I got off to a good start and stayed with the lead group for about 10 miles before I settled into a slower 600K pace with John Shelso. John was riding the 400K. We made good time to the first two controls, and I was still dealing with the heat pretty well when John turned south at Hoyleton (93 miles), on the 400K route, while I continued east.

The heat began to get to me when I turned south at Harmony Lane (121 miles). I stopped for an extended period in the store at Markham Lane (132 miles). John Jost and Dennis Smith caught up with me there, and I left the store when they did. At Wilkey's Cafe (Control 4), I tried to eat some but my appetite was not very good due to the heat. I left with Dennis, John and Miles Stoneman after about 45 minutes. In retrospect, I should have stayed longer and recovered more.

A bridge was being replaced on the route, and we had to half carry our bikes down and up the stone riprap that had been placed in the channel. It was quite a chore. Not long after the bridge,I began to fall behind, and I stopped to rest a couple times in the shade. I did not stop long because I would be attacked by giant horseflies. I ran out of water about three miles from Thompsonville and abandoned the ride in Thompsonville (166 miles).

John Jost providing instructions at the start














Breese control














Okawville control














Randy & Dennis at Okawville














Bridge replacement

No comments: