But I am just a pilgrim on this road, boys
Until I see you fare thee well
-Steve Earle, Pilgrim

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Route 66 & Cooky's Pie 205K Permanent

I rode this permanent last weekend with Tamara Mitchell and Nancy and Mike Myers. The brevets start this month, but the first one is not until March 20th, and I wanted to make sure I got a 200K in this month. There is always a chance of snow in late March and even early April. Tamara recently joined RUSA, and this was her first event. It was a lovely day to ride even with the strong wind out of the south. Fortunately, it did not shift to the southeast as had been predicted. Once we got to Miller on the return, it was not much of a problem. The Myers had a flat just west of Miller on the outbound. Otherwise, the ride went well. The most remarkable sight was the number of robins throughout the country side. If there had been an equal number of other species of birds, it would have looked like a scene out of the movie The Birds. This gives me nine months of 200Ks or better. Only three more months for the RUSA R-12 award. It is good to get the winter months out of the way and to have 600K in events before starting the brevet season.

Tamara inbound just west of Miller

1 comment:

dmar836 said...

We did our first 217K two weeks ago. When the sun came up, there were THOUSANDS of starlings overhead. I've never seen so many. I thought first about "Birds" then about the number of potential droppings!