But I am just a pilgrim on this road, boys
Until I see you fare thee well
-Steve Earle, Pilgrim

Sunday, February 14, 2010

More Cold Apple Butter

I went to Baxter Springs again to ride the Apple Butter 200K on Saturday with Mike and Nancy Myers. It was cloudy and about 32 degrees when we left at 7:00. We had a southeast wind that swung to the southwest about Noon, so we had a five to 12 mph headwind most of the day. The Myers had a flat tire just south of Galena, KS, about five miles from the start. That was the only mechanical problem the entire day.

East of Joplin, we rode by a field where there was a mare and recently born foal. The mare still had blood stains on her hind legs. As we approached, the stallion charged up to the fence between us and the mare and foal, the mare and foal started running, but the foal got tangled in its legs and fell. It quickly got up and headed off after the mare. A little further along, we were passing a field with goats when the herd dogs in the field beyond started barking. The goats looked at the dogs, then at us, then back at the dogs and then again at us before they decided the silly dogs were making much ado about nothing. The goats went back to grazing. The sun broke out after we left the control in Sarcoxie. It finally began to warm up, but I don't think it got much above 40 degrees the entire day.

The most excitement of the day was when I lost my Permanent card. I forgot to zip the pocket in my reflective vest where I keep my card. I realized the card was gone about a half mile after leaving the control in Mount Vernon. I told the Myers to go on, and I headed back towards the control. I checked the trash can at the control to make sure I did not accidentally toss it. Then I headed back along the route. Luckily, I found it about 5 feet off the road just a few hundred feet from where I realized it was gone. I did not see it when I first went back because there were ditches on both sides of the road. Good thing it was not at night, but having ridden half the distance, I was prepared to spend as much time a s necessary to find the card. With the headwind, I did not push it, so I did not catch up with the Myers until the control in Sarcoxie. I also saw former Missouri US Senator Jim Talent at the control in Sarcoxie. We got back to Baxter Springs just before 18:00.

Eight rides complete and four to go. The rest should be brevets, although I may ride a permanent in early March because the first brevet is not until March 20. Last year's brevet, there was snow on the ground, so the weather can still be a problem.

Fixing a flat














Mike & Nancy

1 comment:

dmar836 said...

Great job. Inspiring!
Trying to find a way to email you about old bikes. BTW, Dave Christiano is my father in law.