But I am just a pilgrim on this road, boys
Until I see you fare thee well
-Steve Earle, Pilgrim

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Springfield, MO, 300K Brevet

Nine riders started the 300K brevet from York Elementary School at 6:00 on April 17. This was four more riders than last year. Skies were partly cloudy with a NE wind. The wind got us off to a good start, and I rode the first 100K in just over four hours. I started out with two of the faster riders, but they pulled ahead before we got to Hood's on I-44. One of the riders needed to get home for his wedding anniversary.

I had to alter the route from last year due to a road closure between Alba and Webb City. The new route was slightly longer, but much more enjoyable because it followed lower-traffic-volume roads, including portions of Historic Route 66. An interesting sight between Carterville and Webb City was the old bridge retaining walls for Route 66 where the road bridged a former rail yard. The bridges and tracks are all gone, and so is the dirt, leaving just the retaining walls.

All of the riders, except one, caught up with me at the control in Pierce City, so I waited and left with three of them. One of the riders stopped on MO 14, but he said he was okay so Dan Pfaff and I went on. We stopped and waited for a while at the turn onto MM Hwy. They did not show up, and we went on. Apparently one rider had a tire problem, and while they were working on it, the last rider caught up with them.

I completed the brevet just before 22:00. This gives me ten months towards the RUSA R-12 award.

Rae and Doug Nickell and Tom Barnett were at the final control again this year to greet and sign in riders. Much thanks to them.

Rail trestle along Historic Route 66














Former Route 66 bridge retaining wall














Brian Hawkins & Wayne Hanno














Dan Pfaff














The following photos by Doug Nickell

Rae & friend at last control















Mike & Nancy Meyers














Ralph checking Dan's brevet card

No comments: